Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Ready to Go

In the next few days I will be on a journey that could quite possibly change my life forever. There will be challenges set testing my physical, mental and spiritual ability, but how they are over come will be what I learn from in the next 5 months. Please forgive my lack of grammar and punctuation over the next editions; I was always the less academic child between Lorna and myself.

I am travelling to Saskatchewan Canada with a team of 7 individuals on a discipleship training course called Soul Edge. This course is designed to test every ounce of ability I have within myself which will help me trust in my faith and learn more about ‘that guy in the sky’. Throughout the five months we will dive deep into the Bible going from Genesis to Revelations, learning about what God has in store for us. We will also be trained in ministry, public speaking and working within youth groups, enabling us to reach out to the communities and spread Gods word. Half way through we will head up north to Pelican Narrows, where the First Nation community live. We will mentor them and go about our big mission to minister to them and get them on the right track!  It will also incorporate adventure based activities within this course including skiing, snowboarding, ice climbing, canoeing, rock climbing, hiking and various others... So lots to be getting on with!

Within this blog I will be trying to give my best attempt in explaining my experiences, both in growing as a person and with God. I will go through in as much detail as I can what I will be learning through the course about all aspects of the Christian faith, but also share my day to day life encounters with the people I meet while I’m out there.

So here’s where I am at the moment: Just been shopping to collect the last of my kit list items (my Dad’s credit card is hurting!). Good quality Boots, gloves, rucksacks and outer clothing are seen to be essential to cope with the -30C I will be dropping myself into! Surprisingly I’m not nervous or anxious, but looking forward and feeling at ease with it all. I love meeting new people and experiencing new things while growing with God, therefore this is why the course originally appealed to me. I will have to bond with the people I will be living with and those bonds will be tested through the teaching and through the challenges set for us all. I have never met any of these people, only a few emails and a stalk once in a while of their facebook profile, so it will be nice to finally see them face to face. The only aspect I am nervous about however, is trying to compile the kit required and the struggle to packing it all within the given weight at the airport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment